Rangeley Baptist Church was first established in 1827 by Rev. Joseph Dyer, a traveling Baptist missionary. The church began with five men and three women at the Buena Vista Farm owned by William Toothaker. Edward Toothaker was the first ordained minister. Early ministers were mostly circuit riders. It wasn't until 1878 that the first resident pastor, J.B. Wheelwright, came to the church. The first building was begun in 1881 and finished the following year. The church burned on December 11, 1941. Because of World War II, it was not rebuilt until 1946. The kitchen was renovated in 2004. The sanctuary was updated in 2007.